Sharon's Peace Pilgrimage

Sunday, March 05, 2006

DAY TWO

Hi -- It's 5 a.m. I just padded outside in my pajamas, in the dark, in the rain, to get my computer from the car. Alas, no wireless networks available. So I'll write this now and post it when I can.

A long, wet, windy, windey drive from Redding, with only one SIGNIFICANT AND ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL road-that-doesn't-exist glitch in the Mapquest directions that ended me up at an autorepair-fishingtackle-liquorstore-minimart in the total boonies where guys in camouflage with big ole trucks and big ole guns mounted in the back window were cavorting in the parking lot. They all agreed it was a good thing I'd gotten lost because it was a much nicer drive this way. The designated direction-giver was about six-and-a-half feet tall, weighed maybe 300 pounds, and wore his hair in a ponytail. I gave him a Grandmother book (it was that or one of Nancy's "We're Saving the World" pendants). He said "Thank you kindly ma'am." Made me smile.

In spite of the detour, I arrived on time in the blissfully bucolic town of Cloverdale, on the edge of Sonoma County's wine country, about halfway between Ukiah and Santa Rosa. It's tiny and cute and filled with artists and creative folk. Like a little Ashland.

The first reading on my journey was last night, at the home of an artist who lives near a lake populated by a bijillion little frogs with the biggest of BIG frog voices. They welcomed us with wild and croaky enthusiasm.

Half the women at the event belong to a Wisdom Circle that has been meeting twice a month for several years. Each was encouraged to bring a friend. Intelligent, involved, concerned, fun, funny women who arrived with open hearts and mountains of homemade desserts (this after one of the best dinners ever at the home of my gracious hosts!). Friends just waiting to be met. An absolutely perfect beginning.

This morning I'll make the short drive to Santa Rosa and the Brook Hill Elementary School. Can hardly wait to see what the day brings!

P.S. There's snow on the foothills!